If you’re a PlayStation 4 user, you may have encountered an error message that says “A DNS Server Cannot Be Used”. This error can prevent you from connecting to the internet and playing games online. In this article, we’ll explain what the error means and provide solutions to fix it.
What Does “A DNS Server Cannot Be Used” Mean on PS4?
When you try to connect your PS4 to the internet, it communicates with a Domain Name System (DNS) server to translate website names into IP addresses. This allows you to access the internet and play games online. However, if the PS4 is unable to communicate with the DNS server, you’ll see the error message “A DNS Server Cannot Be Used”.
Causes of “A DNS Server Cannot Be Used” Error on PS4
There are several reasons why you may encounter this error on your PS4:
- Network Connection Issues: If your PS4 isn’t connected to the internet or is experiencing connection problems, it won’t be able to communicate with the DNS server.
- DNS Server Problems: If the DNS server is down, you won’t be able to connect to the internet.
- Incorrect DNS Settings: If you’ve manually configured your PS4’s DNS settings and made an error, you’ll encounter this error.
- Router Issues: Sometimes the router can cause DNS issues, especially if it’s not configured correctly.
How to Fix “A DNS Server Cannot Be Used” Error on PS4
When a DNS server cannot be used on PS4, it can cause issues with connecting to the internet and accessing online features. Some common reasons for this error include network connectivity issues, DNS server misconfiguration, or outdated firmware. However, there are several solutions to try to resolve the issue:
- Restart your PS4: Sometimes, restarting your console can help to clear out any temporary issues causing the error.
- Check your network connection: Make sure that your PS4 is connected to a stable network and that there are no issues with your router or modem.
- Update firmware: Ensure that your PS4 is running the latest firmware updates. To check for updates, go to “Settings” > “System Software Update”.
- Manually configure DNS settings: Try manually entering the DNS settings for your network connection. Go to “Settings” > “Network” > “Set Up Internet Connection” > “Custom” and enter the DNS server settings manually.
- Use a different DNS server: If your current DNS server is not working, try using a different one such as Google DNS or OpenDNS.
By trying these solutions, you should be able to resolve the “a DNS server cannot be used” error on your PS4 and regain access to online features.
- Faster Internet Speed: DNS servers can help speed up your internet browsing experience. By using a DNS server, you can reduce the amount of time it takes for your device to translate a website’s domain name into its corresponding IP address.
- Increased Security: Some DNS servers offer additional security features, such as blocking malicious websites or phishing attempts. This can help protect your device from potential cyber threats.
- Improved Privacy: By using a DNS server, you can prevent your internet service provider (ISP) from tracking your browsing activity. This can be particularly useful if you’re concerned about your online privacy.
- Possible Compatibility Issues: Sometimes using a DNS server can result in compatibility issues with certain devices or applications. This can cause problems with accessing certain websites or services.
- Technical Knowledge Required: Setting up and using a DNS server can be a bit technical and may require some knowledge of networking concepts.
- Reliability Issues: If you’re using a free DNS server, it may not be as reliable as a paid option. This can result in slower browsing speeds or even website downtime.